- Consists of an outer tube and inner tube.
- Inner tube is slightly longer than the outer tube.
- There is a flange (rounded end) in the outer tube.
- In the flange there are two holes for tying tapes around the neck after tracheostomy.
Types of Tracheostomy Tube:
- Double type (metallic)
- Single type made with PVC (Polyvinyl chloride)
- Hold in left hand.
- Mouth of the tube directed to the examiner.
- Concavity directed upwards.
Indications of tracheostomy:
- To bypass upper respiratory tract obstruction.
- Tracheo-broncheal toileting.
- To reduce dead air space.
- Instant intermittent positive pressure ventilation.
Absolute Indications of Tracheostomy:
- Carcinoma of the larynx.
- Multiple papilloma of larynx in children.
- Laryngeal diphtheria.
- Open or closed injury to the larynx.
- Foreign body in the larynx.