Stye/ External hordeolum :
Acute suppurative inflammation of hair follicle of the eyelash or associated gland of zeis and mole usually caused by S. aureus. (s-179)
[ Gland of zeis => opens at hair follicle,
Gland of mole => open in eyelid]
Treatment of Stye/ External hordeolum:
- Analgesics: Ibuprofen or aspirin (with antacid)
- Hot compression – 3 to 4 times daily.
- Local antibiotic drops like Chloramphenicol/ Ciprofloxacin 1 drop 2-3 hours interval & same preparation eye ointment at bedtime)
- Wait for 4-5 days, if not respond or deteriorate, then – Broad sprectrum antibiotic – flucloxacillin 500mg 6 hourly for 5-7 days.
- If still not respond –
- Removal of eyelashes.
- Incision and drainage (horizontal) – by pulling out the affected eyelash.